‘Before and After the Third Stump’ - A Tribute to Lumpy Stevens

In the 18th century, very large sums of money were wagered on cricket matches which were usually under the patronage of local nobility or gentry. Lord Tankerville of Walton ran one such team which played on Laleham Burway, the land on the Chertsey side of the River Thames close to Laleham Golf Club  and the Water Works. Lord Tankerville’s gardener , ‘Lumpy’ Stevens, was an outstanding bowler who would frequently bowl a ball between the two stumps which comprised the wicket, resulting in acrimonious disputes as to whether the batsman was out which obviously affected the outcome of a match.
‘Lumpy’ Stevens's precision bowling against the Hambledon team subsequently resulted in the introduction of a middle wicket stump in the English national game of cricket. It is thought that the first game ever to be played with three stumps was played on the Burway ground at Chertsey in 1776 between the Coulsden team and the local Chertsey team lead by Lord Tankerville.  











   Cast Iron Cricket Bat Gauge, made in Chertsey 1827,
   presumably at W A Herring’s iron foundry.
   Note the three stumps inscribed on the two sides
   of the gauge.
   (The inscribed marks on the top of the gauge are
   not very clear, but represent cricket bats.)



On Sunday 28th August 2011 a sporting re-enactment of a 18th century cricket match will be held at Chertsey Cricket Ground, Grove Road, Chertsey as part of the Cultural Olympiad.  All are welcome.

Souvenir programmes will be for sale with proceeds being put towards launching a fund for a  monument : ‘Before and After the Third Stump’ - A Tribute to Lumpy Stevens. It is proposed that this monument should take the form of two plinths set an appropriate distance apart; one surmounted with a representation of the early form of wicket comprising of two stumps and a single bail together with the early form of curved bat, possibly with a  ball passing through the middle of the two stumps, whilst the second plinth should be surmounted by three stumps, with the centre stump splayed over by a ball and the bails flying in the air together with a modern straight cricket bat.

Schematic illustrations are shown in the artist’s impression drawn by Victor Spink.


Black Cherry Fair 2011

Despite the occasional shower the fair proved yet again to be the premier community event of the year. Congratulations to The Black Cherry Team,  The Rotary Club for all their hard work in organising the successful day that benefits so many local groups and charities. Thanks are also recorded to Terry Pattinson who carried out the role of Town Crier with his usual flair. Appreciation is also expressed to all those who helped prepare, erect and staff the Society’s display stand.
















Chertsey and Shepperton Regatta

The weather was ideal for this year's Regatta on Saturday 30th July 2011 held on Dumsey Meadow just over Chertsey Bridge. This Regatta is one of Chertsey’s community events which has been held for 160 years. Dumsey Meadow is now a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and is held in trust by Spelthorne Borough Council. In the 1980s, it was under threat of being dug up for gravel but because of representation by The Chertsey Society at the SCC Minerals Plan Public enquiry it was removed from the list of potential gravel pit sites and now has the protection of the SSSI status.
Congratulations to all who help organise and support the Regatta – long may it continue.


King George V Coronation Oak












    Postcard supplied by Ralph Rendall


This postcard shows a group of people gathering around a tree being planted. After some detective work by David Wheeler and others it was identified as being one of three oak trees that were planted in the town to commemorate the Coronation of King George V in June 1911. The illustration shows the tree at Chertsey Recreation Ground, near Sir William Perkin’s School, Guildford Road. In the foreground is C. Cllr. George Boyce JP, with the beard, together with Miss Boyce and her dog.  Boys from the School of Handicraft are in the front row. In the background the railings that were sent for scrap in WWII are clearly visible. A full account may be found in The Surrey Herald, 1911.

Sadly the other two trees are thought to no longer survive: one, on The Hollows, Willow Walk was destroyed by bombs in WWII, the second, in the playground of Stepgates School facing on to Free Prae Road, was lost when the school was demolished and redeveloped for housing.

The tree on the Recreation Ground still survives today  and now has a girth of 105 inches which is consistent with its age.  Following lobbying by The Chertsey Society, in June 2011, a new plaque was placed near the tree by Runnymede Borough Council to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the coronation.  Thanks are expressed to Peter Winfield of RBC Parks & Gardens department.







   The new plaque







   Wednesday 22nd June 2011 - new plaque placed next to the tree
























  Group photo (details below)



Members of The Chertsey Society and Friends of Chertsey Museum together with Mr Peter Winfield , the RBC Parks and Amenities Manager photographed in front of the George V coronation oak tree.
[ l to r:  Malcolm Loveday, Thelma Lake, Richard Mason, Valerie Lane, David Wheeler, Peter Winfield, Bill Lane, Stephanie Hunt & Peter Lake ] 


Ringing for the Royal Wedding

Chertsey ringers rang the historic bells at St Peter’s Church, Chertsey, on the morning of Friday 29th April 2011 between 9.30 am and 10.15 am to celebrate the wedding of Catherine Middleton to Prince William. Methods rung on the eight bells (tenor 1 ton) included Grandsire Triples, Plain Hunt Major and Plain Bob Doubles with 7-6-8 behind.



















l.-r.: Christine Leach, Peter Whisker, Andrew Whisker, Joan Densham, Bob Hudson, Sean Hudson, Petra Hudson, Sue Loveday and Malcolm Loveday (Tower Captain)


Monks' Annual Visit to Chertsey

Wednesday, 19th January 2011, ~ 12.20pm
The Orthodox monks from the St Edwards’ Brotherhood, Brookwood, will once again be visiting Chertsey to bless the waters of the Abbey River as part of their annual celebration of  Theophany, the Baptism of Christ.  For a number of years the Monks have come to Chertsey for the ceremony which is an appropriate location because it is also the site where Abbot Beocca and Ethor, the Mass Priest, together with approximately 90 brother monks were slain by Vikings when the abbey was sacked and burnt down in 871 AD. Having been  killed by the Danes the monks were evidently regarded as martyrs. All are welcome to witness the blessing of the waters and people will gather in Colonel’s Lane near Abbey Bridge Farm usually at about 12.20pm.  









    Blessing the Abbey River
    January 2009




Remembrance Day 2010

On Thursday 11th November 2010, a brief ceremony was held at the War Memorial attended by approximately 80 people. Fourteen wreaths were laid around the War Memorial by representatives from a wide range of local organisations including: Chertsey Agricultural Association, Chertsey Chamber of Commerce, 5th Chertsey Guides, Chertsey Rotary Club, 1st Chertsey Scouts, Chertsey Social Club, Runnymede Borough Council, Surrey County Council, Surrey Police, SS&NR Club, The Chertsey Society, The Royal Air Forces Association (Addlestone & Chertsey Branch), The Women’s Institute and UKIP.  Approximately 20 small wooden crosses were also placed in the turf  frame inside the war memorial railing. 










   Chertsey War Memorial

   and Remembrance Ceremony