Search

Cowley's Almshouses

In the mid 1990s, the triangle of land south of Chertsey railway station was redeveloped for Floral House and the original proposal was to clear the entire site including Cowley’s Almhouses which were originally erected in London Street in 1671 and subsequently rebuilt at their present location in Guildford Road in 1786.
The Society objected to their demolition but agreed to their being extensively rebuilt to meet modern standards, so we managed to ensure that another part of Chertsey’s heritage was retained.

 

 

 

 

 

 

   Memorial Plaque

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   Cowley Almshouses,

   Guildford Road